Birth Mark Removal
Birthmarks are spots on the skin that vary in shape, size and color. They can appear anywhere on the skin and have been observed to pose health related risks, especially on the face or eyelids as they can be a sign of eye or brain problems. Dr. Rohit Batra is one of the top dermatologists in Delhi and provides birthmark removal treatment in his renowned skin clinic – Rohit Batra’s Dermaworld Skin Institute.
If birthmarks are not treated timely, port wine birthmarks can get deep in color and increase in size and depth with age. They can increase the chances of chronic infections, abrasion, ulcerations and circulatory problems. Some birthmarks go away completely by themselves while others do not. There are four types of birthmark classifications:
- Hemangioma’s: These birthmarks develop in infants within a few weeks after birth. They are the most common type of tumors that are found in infants and usually occur around the head and neck. It may disappear within a few months but most of the times take years to fade or disappear.
- Salmon Patches: Also known as macular stains, salmon patches are thin, light colored patches of discoloration which mostly appear on babies. They are most common on the upper eyelids or the back of the neck. Patches on upper eyelids mostly disappear after the first year while patches on the back do not.
- Pigmentation Type Birthmarks: These include moles, coffee-cream and Mongolian spots. Coffee cream spots occur due to much pigment in the skin, but are not severe and hence do not require treatment or removal. Mongolian spots are generally blue to grey flat patches and fade on their own in the first few years of children lives. Moles usually pose no health risk; but may have cancerous effects later on in life.
- Vascular Malformations: They are caused by abnormal development of blood vessels and are present from birth. These can be found anywhere on the body and do not disappear on their own.
Birthmark Diagnosis and Treatment
Birthmark treatments depend on the type of birthmark. The first step is to consult a paediatrician or facial plastic surgeon for proper diagnosis of the birthmark. Laser technology has proved to be highly beneficial in birthmark treatments. A high-energy pulsing laser can be used for the effective and accurate removal of birthmarks. The procedure is painless and requires no anesthetic. You will only feel a slight tingling sensation with no pain or discomfort. Laser treatment can greatly reduce the dark tones of birthmarks, coffee-cream birthmarks and can also even out the tone of original birthmark completely. Port-wine stain birthmarks require intensive laser treatment, which is offered in Delhi at affordable prices by highly experienced doctors.
Benefits of laser treatments for birthmark removal:
- Laser treatments of birthmarks can last from a few minutes to several hours, depending on the size, shape and intensity of the birthmark.
- The procedures are mostly performed at an in-office appointment or in a doctor’s surgical suite, based on the intensity of the treatment required.
- No hospital or overnight stay is required.
- There is very little healing time after the removal of a birthmark. Though in some cases, tenderness or bruising may occur at the site of the birthmark, but it fades within one week.
- Little bruising and tenderness might occur at the site of the birthmark, but it generally fades away within one week.
Moreover, there are minimal risks involved in laser birthmark removal. In few cases, uneven skin tone or dark areas of skin can occur. But most of these cosmetic risks can be rectified with a secondary laser treatment. In rare cases, some bleeding, scabbing and bruising can follow after the treatment. There are varied reasons why patients undergo birthmark removal from not liking their appearance to severe problems such as increased risk of glaucoma or seizures.